John O'Brien: Palm Sunday
What is Palm Sunday all about? Far from being inconsequential or insignificant this beginning of Holy… [more]
Our current series is God of Grace - From Exodus to Easter Join us on Sundays at 10am Upcoming Dates… [more]
Avenue Kids will be expanding in the new year for Kids ages 6-12 years old! We are so excited but this… [more]
The Prayer Team is a great way to draw closer to God as you pray for others. If you would like to… [more]
The Avenue Church is served by Casey and John. Casey serves as the lead pastor, and John serves as… [more]
The Avenue Church engages in authentic worship. What exactly does that mean? Well, we strive to create… [more]
The Avenue Church is growing together as a community. We each have a different story and come from… [more]
The Avenue Church loves families. We place a high value on what God can do within the dynamic of a family.… [more]
We’re on ITunes!
Palm Sunday brings together twin truths about Jesus and his kingdom. He is both royalty and humility combined, both king and servant. We are called to be both bold and humble.
1. Which comes easier to you and how do you struggle with the other?
2. Why do you think you struggle like this? Provide an example from your life.
3. Which way do you most naturally perceive Jesus? In his infinite highness or lowness? His power and majesty or his humility and service?
Because Jesus came into Jerusalem in weakness instead of full of an overwhelming display of strength, we can expect our lives in this world to be characterized by power through weakness. Our lives retain their struggles even though Jesus is transforming everything from the inside out.
4. Where in your life are you struggling and how is it hard for you to connect that struggle to the reality of your new identity and destiny in Jesus?
Having our eyes opened to the reality of Jesus beauty and the beauty of the world to come can tear our souls apart as we look at the present state of our lives and relationships.
5. Have you felt God awakening a hunger and thirst for more of him in your life? Do you bring this thirst to him in prayer or try to escape it with noise and busyness. Explain and describe.